Wednesday, March 24, 2010

what's it all mean?

So much for getting to bed on time tonight! But the reason that I'm still up makes me pretty happy! I'll get to that later though.

Today, I could not believe how tired my muscles still were after the workout I put them through yesterday! Ergo I decided not to put them under quite the same amount of stress that I have been. I still wanted to go out and get my happy exercise somehow though, so I thought to myself, a walk would be absolutely wonderful! About the same time I started this blog, I was inspired by some of the amazing people I know to start documenting my life through photography, and expressing myself that way. And what an opportunity it would have been to just take a walk and look for the simple beauties that surround us and go unnoticed all too often. I developed quite the quandary however. I didn't want to go by myself, because companionship makes everything better. Here's the problem though: I much prefer the presence of one of my girl friends (take notice, two words, not one!) to that of ANY guy, but I'm not allowed to go one on one with a girl besides my sister. Kind of puts a crimp in that idea, and I haven't quite figured out the answer to that idea yet. Instead of pouting though or letting that get me down, and went and played with my dog, and took pictures with him instead (and he is feeling much better by the way!)

So The Difference of One. That's the title. But what does it really mean? Let me share a little story that might help explain..

My wonderful darling grandma has lived such a wonderful, beautiful life. She is one of the most incredible people I know. Her and my grandpa both. From her, hearing your middle name is a sign of affection, not of anger. I'm her Peter Matthew! Sadly though, as the years stretch on, she is becoming a little confused. The world has sped up with all of its new technologies and lifestyles, and it has become just a dizzying whirlwind of communication and networking, information swirling and spinning around her. This doesn't lend itself to a very good sense of well being, and so my dear grandmother struggles sometimes. Well I did my part, almost like my duty, yesterday with our nice little lunch. I treated her kindly and gave her the opportunity to be carefree for a time. I listened to her beautiful stories. That in itself is making a difference. But like I said its almost like a duty. Here's where it becomes more: she told me how much she loved the desert, she commented on all of our flowers.Well as a surprise, I made her this collage, that I am going to frame and give to her to hang on her wall. My only goal is to make her day and get her to smile!

That's what it is really about. Getting someone to smile! Doing something just to see the reaction you get. Doing it for them, and not because you have to. Sometimes keeping it a secret. But it can make such a difference! It's a difference you can make all by yourself! There was a story I heard once that showed how much of a difference this can make:

There was once a high school basketball coach.
One night after a good practice, he had just let his players go to shower and go home.
One of his players came into his office and asked if he could talk for a minute.
The coach was tired and ready to go home, just like everyone else
but he said "yes of course".
The boy sat down and asked if the coach would listen to some of his poetry,
and tell him what he thought about it.
The coach listened.
The talent the boy exhibited was astonishing.
Afterwards, the boy left and they all went home
and the coach didn't give it a second though.

A few days later the coach received a note
from that boy.
It was thanking him for taking the time to listen.
The boy had worked so hard on the poetry, but no one would listen
None of his family, none of his friends,
and so he felt worthless.
That night, if no one was going to listen to his poetry,
he was going to kill himself.
He had the gun in the trunk of his car.
He was going to do it.
But that loving coach, he took the time to listen.
Now the boy has gone on, and is happy once again.
All because of one, who made a difference.

One person, one time, can make all the difference in the world to one soul. You can do it! And hopefully that will lead the one whose heart you touched to do it for someone else. Everytime you do, you start a chain reaction. This is how one person can touch so many hearts, and change the world! One person, one smile at a time.

That's not the end though-- The Difference of One is not just the difference that one person can make. It's the difference that such acts of kindness have upon the one who performs them. But that, I will let you find for yourself :)


A Smile a Day makes the world a better place-- Make someone smile today!

No comments:

Post a Comment