Friday, April 2, 2010

just daddy and me

Have you ever noticed that when it’s all rainy and stormy and gross outside that you can get kind of down, especially if you have to be outside? Well it was SO blustery today in Seattle that my dad and I were leaning almost all the way over sometimes, and one time crossing the street the wind stopped us pretty much completely for a bit before we could forge on through it. Here is where the power of choice comes in though: I just had to laugh at the weather! Sure it was a pain, but you know what? I wasn’t gonna let it bother me. Instead, it was fun. I had a blast!

The trip to get to Seattle was pretty adventurous too. Let me preface that story with another one from this summer. It was the middle of July, and I was driving through the middle of Idaho, in the middle of nowhere, where it was very hot. All of a sudden, my car overheated, and my radiator blew. It didn’t just pop the cap off, it full out blew. It got a nice long crack in the side and so wouldn’t hold water really at all. Anyway, I was stuck on the side of the highway, a couple miles from any city, without any water for me or my car. Well I spent a lot of time there and kind of wish that someone would’ve given me a hand. I eventually got out alright, but still.

Here’s how that relates to the drive. We were going along great, but as we started to get part way, it started snowing pretty good. Well any time that I saw a car on the side of the road, I would slow down a bit and check to see if there were even people there, and if they had it under control, because I was totally ready to give them the help that I didn’t really receive when I broke down.

That wasn’t the only adventurous part about the trip though. I’ve now been introduced to something I hadn’t really seen before. Begging. At a gas station we stopped at there was a kind old black man who called me over to his car. He was the nicest, most polite person I met all day! But he didn’t have any money for gas. We gave him some. Then, later when we were walking along the waterfront, my dad was approached by two different people asking for money, and he immediately pulled what he could out of his pockets, whether it was just a few coins, or a few dollars.

A lot of people say they want to be just like their dad, and a lot of people say that they don’t want to be anywhere close. Well I would like to be like my dad. Not an engineer like him, maybe not do some of the same things, but definitely be as kind and understanding, as encouraging and uplifting, and as good of a father.

I love my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment